When Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Lafayette Lawyers Assist with Catastrophic Injuries
If you are reading this page, chances are you or someone close to you sustained an injury. If so, you probably have many questions. Will the injury heal on its own? Will my insurance cover everything? What if someone else is at fault? Will his or her insurance cover my losses? When do I need to contact an attorney?
Our personal injury attorneys can answer all of these questions for you. We understand that this is a confusing and stressful time for you. That is why we offer free, confidential consultations with no obligation. We can provide options and help you make informed decisions about what to do next. This may be the first time you have sought justice for personal injuries, but we have been helping people in your situation for nearly 20 years. Breathe easier knowing that our experience will support you as you protect the future welfare of your family. Since 1996, our firm has helped thousands of injured Lafayette residents right the wrongs that have affected your life.
What to Do After Sustaining a Catastrophic Injury
- Seek medical treatment immediately. What might seem like minor injuries at the time can manifest into serious conditions if you fail to get them diagnosed. If you were rear ended, you may have sustained whiplash or a concussion that puts you at risk for serious health concerns if you avoid treatment. An early doctor’s visit can provide documentation of your injury’s severity.
- If you were injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident, truck wreck or any other type of vehicle collision, try to file a police report. This can help add legitimacy to your side of the claim.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. In many cases, victims of traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries have long roads of recovery ahead of them, often involving lengthy physical therapy sessions.
- Contact an attorney, or ask a loved one to contact an attorney on your behalf. You have one year from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit in Louisiana, and the sooner you hire a personal injury lawyer to protect your family, the better.: Things such as important evidence tend to disappear if you wait to take action. A lawyer can help you make informed decisions on how to
- While undergoing treatment for a catastrophic injury, keep careful records of how the injury affects your life. Use a physical journal or online document, and provide details like:
- How much pain you experience
- Photos of your injuries
- Time taken off work
- Medications prescribed to you
To find out if an injury lawyer can help with your catastrophic injury, call (337) 984-8020. Our firm has helped injured victims since 1996, and we can help you figure out the best path to follow after a devastating injury.