Injured in Another Country: Glass Door Harms Canadian Man in Louisiana

iStock 529081087 resize - Injured in Another Country: Glass Door Harms Canadian Man in LouisianaA man from Ontario, Canada recently filed a lawsuit in New Orleans alleging negligence at a hotel he was staying in. On October 16, 2016, the plaintiff was injured due to a sliding glass door falling off its hinges. He has accused the hotel and its managing companies of failing to ensure that the hotel room was safe as well as failure to warn of the dangerous condition posed by the broken sliding glass door.

This kind of case would typically fall under the umbrella of premises liability – but what do you do if you are not a United States citizen and you are injured while visiting?

Injured While Visiting the United States

Even if you are not a United States citizen, you still have rights if you are injured while visiting. Even if you are an undocumented resident, you still have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit.

Premises liability is the legal doctrine stating that property owners have a responsibility to visitors to keep a property safe. If property owners do not do so, and someone suffers injury as a result, the injured party has the right to seek damages from that property owner, including damages for pain and suffering, lost potential wages, reduced work capacity and more.

If you suffer injuries while visiting the United States, you should first make sure to call the appropriate authorities as well as appropriate medical professionals. As soon as is practical, you should write down the name of all potential witnesses as well as their contact information, date, time and details of what happened.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *