Have Questions About Your Car Accident?
Our Lafayette Car Accident Law Firm Offers Advice
It is unfortunate but true that every time we get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, we could be involved in a wreck. While no one expects to get into a car accident, they are frighteningly common. However, that does not mean that you will know what to do if you have been injured in one. You may feel overwhelmed and wonder what to do next. For this reason, our Lafayette car accident law firm has compiled a list of frequently asked car accident questions and answers.
At Galloway Jefcoat, Attorneys at Law, we know how serious a car accident can be. We also know how important your recovery is after an accident. Do not take the path of least resistance by settling with insurance companies — it is likely not all you deserve. Our Louisiana attorneys know how to mitigate risk and strengthen personal injury claims. Through passionate representation, years of experience and creative thinking, we can help you pursue a favorable settlement.
Car Accident FAQ
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
The aftermath of a car accident is often chaotic — odds are that you will be disoriented, possibly injured and more than likely unable to think clearly. After a car accident, you should:
- Check to see if you or anyone else is injured.
- If anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately.
- Make a record of your accident. This means take pictures that highlight vehicle damage and/or injuries. Write down key details that stick out to you.
- Trade contact and insurance information with witnesses, drivers and passengers.
- Even if you do not require immediate medical attention, do not leave the scene of the car accident until law enforcement arrives.
- Comply with requests from the police. However, do not admit fault in a car accident. There can be easily overlooked details that highlight how you were not at fault.
- While you should inform your own insurance company of the accident, it is in your best interest to not speak to the opposing party’s insurance company without first consulting with an attorney.
- Contact a reliable and experienced Lafayette car accident law firm as quickly as possible. The longer you wait to contact a Louisiana car accident attorney, the more likely that evidence and witnesses will disappear.
Should I See a Doctor After a Car Accident?
Unfortunately, your injuries might be more severe than you think — some side effects can even take months to manifest. Some other reasons you should seek medical care include:
- Symptoms: The longer your injuries go untreated, the worse they can get. A medical professional can help you discover if you have symptoms of an injury. Afterward, a Lafayette car accident law firm can help you file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Severity of Injuries: Ultimately, you need to confirm how serious your injuries are. For instance, you might think you have whiplash when in reality you could have a hairline fracture to a vertebra, slipped disk, injured disk or other serious injury.
- Record of Injuries: A doctor can create a record of your injuries and symptoms. This record can help you strengthen a personal injury claim.
What If I Cannot Pay My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?
The cost of medical care can turn any life upside down. For this reason, most car accident victims worry about how they will afford their compounding medical costs. However, if someone else caused your injuries due to negligence, you may not be personally responsible for medical costs. For example, your health or auto insurance might not cover your medical costs. Since this is the case, you may have to rely on the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
In any case, you should contact a Lafayette car accident law firm to discuss your options. A Louisiana personal injury attorney can bring you peace of mind by working with a trusted team of professionals to examine your situation.
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A good Lafayette car accident attorney will use a team of professionals to help you pursue compensation. At Galloway Jefcoat, Attorneys at Law, we have been successfully helping people seek compensation after a car accident for years. Some of our past success includes multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements. Our lawyers are prepared to investigate manufacturers, insurance companies, negligent drivers as well as any other party who might be responsible for your accident.
Some issues our attorneys can help you with involve, but are not limited to:
- Medical Bills: Physical therapy, medications, emergency room visits and other provider costs can get expensive. A Lafayette car accident law firm can help investigate the details of your medical care.
- Property Damage: Odds are that your car accident likely caused damage to your vehicle and other property. An attorney can defend you if your accident damaged another person’s property.
- Pain and Suffering: A car accident can do more than cause physical pain. You may also feel post-traumatic stress. Our firm can hold the allegedly negligent parties responsible with a personal injury lawsuit.
- Lost Wages and Benefits: Unfortunately, it can be difficult to return to work after a car accident. As a result, you may have lost wages and/or benefits. A Louisiana car accident lawyer can help you recover these losses.
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident in Louisiana?
You should contact a Louisiana car accident injury lawyer immediately after receiving medical treatment. Over time, witnesses, evidence and reports can disappear. Thus, the sooner you act, the better chances you have to locate evidence that supports your claim. One overlooked detail could make a big difference in the outcome of your claim. A car accident attorney is necessary to help you determine some key factors, such as:
- Drunk Driving: Not only is drunk driving against the law, but it is also preventable. Our Lafayette drunk driving attorney can help determine if you have been a victim of a driver under the influence.
- Uninsured Drivers: Uninsured motorists can complicate the details of your claim. If the driver that caused your accident lacks insurance, then you should contact an attorney to better your chances at receiving restitution.
- Distracted Driving: Lane splitting, misjudging the distance between vehicles and failure to yield are common distracted driving issues. If you believe a driver’s cell phone use contributed to your accident, then they may be considered negligent during court proceedings.
What Are Common Types of Car Accident Cases?
A lot of damage can be done in a car accident. Some types of crashes are more common than others. For example, a rear-end collision in Lafayette is not uncommon. Each case presents its own unique challenges. Some common types of cases that our attorneys handle include:
- Hit and Run: A hit and run accident occurs when a motorist flees the scene without checking on the other driver. If caught afterward, the penalties these motorists face are exponentially more severe.
- Fender Bender: Some fender benders leave little or no damage to property or personal injury to those involved. Nonetheless, without a proper investigation, untold damage can compound and cost a pretty penny down the road.
- T-Bone Accident: If your vehicle was hit on its side, this is what is known as a “side-impact collision,” also known as a T-Bone. These types of accidents tend to be more serious as a passenger is usually directly impacted.
- Pedestrian Accident: Some of the most severe injuries occur when a pedestrian is struck by a car. Many factors can be involved in these cases, including the quality of roads and proper signage.
- Hydroplane Accident: If a motor vehicle travels through standing water at a high rate of speed, the tires may not be able to push all of the water away. As a result, a vehicle can hydroplane and easily lose control.
- Defective Car Product: A wide range of manufacturer defects can contribute to a car accident. For example, a defective auto part may have been used by a repair mechanic, which could have contributed to your accident
- Crash With a Parked Car: Most crashes into a parked car happen when a driver is side-swiped by another motorist. However, it is also common for these accidents to involve a car backing into another car.
Car Accident Questions? Our Lafayette Car Accident Law Firm Offers Initial Free Consultations
Have you survived a serious car accident? Do you have questions about your rights after a car wreck in Louisiana? Even if you have received a settlement offer from an insurance company, it is in your best interest to contact one of our qualified personal injury lawyers. Our firm can help you build a case that highlights facts that support your claim. We believe you deserve to have fair representation, no matter how simple or complex your accident seems.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Louisiana, Galloway Jefcoat, Attorneys at Law is here for you. Our firm has been defending the rights of car accident victims for over 20 years. Call our Lafayette office today at 337-984-8020 or contact us online. Depending on the details of your case, we may offer a contingency fee. This means you do not pay us unless we win your case. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.