Injured at Work?

Lafayette On the Job Injury Lawyer Offers Recovery Solutions

Lakes Charles and Lafayette on the job injury lawyer teams representing on land and maritime workers file workplace injury claimsWhat should you do after a workplace injury? Depending on the industry you work in and the facts surrounding the incident, you may have a few different options for seeking recovery. This may include workers’ compensation, third party personal injury claims and certain rights afforded to maritime workers in particular.

Since 1996, our on the job injury attorneys have helped Lafayette, Lake Charles, Sulphur and Calcasieu Parish residents. For no charge, we can answer any questions you have about what to do next. Please call us now at (800) 260-3839 to set up a free consultation.

Do I Qualify for Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Benefits?

If you were hurt during the scope of your employment, then you should qualify for workers’ compensation. Fault or negligence is not a factor: your employer, or your employer’s workers’ comp insurance company, is responsible for covering your medical costs and a portion of your wages missed from work. The amount depends on the severity of your injury and the amount of work you miss. This also covers occupational diseases like carpal tunnel or lung illnesses. Our workers’ compensation page has more information.

Can I Get Benefits Beyond Workers’ Compensation?

In most cases, you cannot sue your employer for an injury that occurred at work. The exception is if your employer committed “gross negligence” or intentionally inflicted harm upon you. However, you could seek additional damages if another party unaffiliated with your employer played a role in your accident. Examples may include a drunk driver hitting you while running work errands the or manufacturer of defective construction equipment. Our third party claim page has more examples.

What If I am Injured At Sea?

Maritime law is a notoriously complex field of law that demands an experienced hand. This is partially due to strict federal courts that decide these cases. If you work as a seaman or other maritime occupation that involves spending time on the water, then you could qualify for disability benefits under the Jones Act. You also should receive the maritime equivalent of workers’ compensation known as maintenance and cure. Maintenance and cure should cover your medical bills and basic living expenses until you reach “maximum medical improvement”. Our site has more information about compensation under the Jones Act.

What If I Work Near the Water?

Some occupations are considered maritime occupations even if they do not involve spending time on the water. This may include ship builders, dock workers, truck drivers who transport marine cargo and stevedores who work just offshore. The Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWSA) provides for medical benefits and lost wages when offshore accidents occur in these professions. Visit our LHWSA page to see if you qualify for these benefits.