What are My Options After a Drunk Driver Hits Me?

Drunk driving accidents can be preventedOtters hold hands while they sleep so they don’t float away from each other. Off topic, but there had to be something adorable to offset how depressing the facts about drunk driving are. Every two hours in the United States, someone dies after a drunk driver hits them. Depressing or not, you do have options when a drunk driver hits you.

Legal Options After a Drunk Driver Hits You

  • File a civil case – The state prosecutor or district attorney does not represent victims for compensation. To pursue compensation, you should file a civil case against the drunk driver. By doing so, you are seeking “damages,” financial compensation, from him or her.
  • Compensation though their insurance – Shortly after the accident, the drunk driver’s insurance company will contact you. They will probably offer you a sizable sum of money to cover your damages. Be cautious in accepting this amount. They are not working on your behalf, so it’s important you seek counseling from your attorney before you sign anything.
  • Compensation through your insurance – In the unfortunate case tan uninsured drunk driver hits you, you might be able to file a claim against your own insurance company. As long as you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can bring a claim against your own insurance company for compensation.

If a drunk driver injured you, you are likely entitled to compensation. Even if the drunk driver is not charged with or convicted of a crime, you still have a case. Contact an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your best course of action.

Galloway Jefcoat, LLP is a Louisiana personal injury law firmthat fights for victims of car accidents, drunk driving, boat accidents and other forms of negligence.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *